Extra Coverage You Might Not Know About In Your Homeowner's Insurance

2 November 2015
 Categories: Insurance, Blog


Homeowner's insurance is a bank account saver when it comes to expensive damages that you might need to deal with due to inclement weather or other natural disasters. However, homeowner's insurance might cover a lot more than you think, allowing you to even include smaller charges. Here are some possible charges to talk to your insurance company about that could eventually add up to a significant mount of money. 

1. Spoiled Food in Your Freezer

If you've ever hosted a large gathering at your house, such as a major holiday for your entire extended family, you might have an unusually large amount of food in your freezer. You might have frozen turkeys and other types of relatively expensive meats, as well as desserts and frozen food that you are planning to heat up later. If a major storm hits, your freezer and refrigerator might be knocked out of a power and the food could go bad while you wait for the power to be restored. Most people will be frustrated by the amount of food that they have lost, as well as the sum of money that was spent on the food, but will not be able to file a claim because the value of the food on its own is usually lower than the minimum. However, if you have other damage to your home, an example being a downed power line caused a minor fire on one part of your house, then you will be able to lump in the cost of the spoiled food in with your other repairs that are covered.

2. Stampeding Animals

Many homeowner's insurance plans will cover the damage that is caused by stampeding animals as long as you are not personally responsible for the animals and they are considered by your insurance company to be wild. This is because, as long as the animals are wild, you can consider them to be very similar to a natural disaster. If you live in an area where cows or horses could get spooked, check your insurance for this type of coverage.

3. Plane Crash

Finally, if you happen to live near a runway and a plane crashes and causes damages to your property, your first line of action is to get compensation from the pilot or from the company that insured the pilot. However, if the pilot is uninsured, then you can sometimes get your homeowner's insurance company to cover at least some of the repairs.

For more information, talk to a homeowner's insurance company like Kerr Agency.